Friday, January 23, 2009

Inspiration

Above is a photo of the paper bag Angela and I practiced our hand prints on before stamping the spine of our Journals. Quick background for those visiting this page for the first time: my friend, Angela, and I decided to begin a project for 2009 that involves sending moleskine journals to friends internationally and ask for their contributions to the project. This blog follows the 3 journals and the people, setbacks, and stories surrounding them.

Quickly, I want to thank Andres for getting onto the website and sharing the photo of his daughter as well as giving an update for Journal 3. I also need to mention something about Journal 1. I'm going to make an appeal for your help today. 

Journal 1 initially went to my friend, Pete, in London. Pete recently discovered he had cancer in his throat area.  Because of this invasive disease, and procedures to remedy it, Pete has had to put many things on hold... I wish he were able to go on his planned trip to DC to visit GW friends. 

I'm bringing this all up to ask for your help. I want you to please take a couple minutes to touch Pete amid this trying time. I'm asking you, in the comments section of this post, to put up a joke or a recent story of yours. And hopefully he'll check the page and see a few heartwarming or humorous stories from the small community surrounding these Moleskines. Tomorrow is Pete's birthday and I'm planning to send him the link to this blog in a Happy Birthday email. 

Pete, if you're reading this, please click the comments link at the bottom right of this post. I'm looking forward to visiting with you when you're better - and seeing a story or memento from you in Journal 1 or on this blog whenever you're ready. 

Happy Birthday big man! I love you. 

3 comments:

Vahd Mulachela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vahd Mulachela said...

thank you ben, for your posting and email. i'm pleased to learn that the journals have already started making their ways and marks upon the earth.

for pete, hi! my name is vahd, i come from java island, indonesia. i left my country last october, and now i'm living in oxford. i am here to take part in a post graduate programme on diplomacy for a year. but besides that i also try to learn other things...

i really like this place. so different from home, but still this old town is very impressive. it has numerous historical buildings with long stories to tell me. the architecture is one thing. perhaps that why they call it "the city of dreaming spires".

but they've got no red buses here. not like london. i went to london and noticed how lively it is. i enjoy seeing so many red buses roaming the streets of that city. once i took a bus ride, i hardly heard anyone speaking english although the bus was full of passengers. they are completely psychedelic. and i felt i was part of the composite too. :)

i'd like to wish u a happy birthday, pete. isn't it a privilege for us to see that as we become older, our lives are like the base of a pyramid widening. your range becomes wider and wider... and it's going to be like a strong foundation that will sustain us when "the winds of changes shift".

best wishes,
v

angela said...

Hi Pete! You don't know me, but I'm Ben's friend and co-watchmaker, if you will, in this journal journey. You're in my thoughts, and I hope that you're feeling better every day. It's been a roller coaster of a week for me, but nothing like yours I'm sure.

I was just in Cancun for a wedding, and on saturday woke up and went to yoga class at a pavilion by the sea... Super relaxing hearing the waves crash on the rocks and beach around us, focusing on breathing. At the end, we were all laying there on our towels, hands forming a triangle on our navels...

The yoga instructor: Relax your shoulders. Relax your neck. Relax your legs. Relax your body. Relax your mind. Relax your heart. Today is a new day.

It was exactly what I needed.

Ben has so many very interesting friends, and I hope to meet you at some point. Happy belated b-day!

angela.